Tuesday, July 26, 2011

The Meet and Greet

45 minutes is the perfect amount of time in which to exchange vital information, carry on decent conversation, and generally figure out if you can stand to be in the same room as the person you have just set eyes on. If you pass the 45 minute test, chances are there is a 50 minute...possibly an entire hour in your future.

I had a great 45 minute meet and greet yesterday.

Words were exchanged, conversation flowed with relative ease, he bought the coffee *always a plus*. We just...got know know each other a little bit better. It wasn't a date. Dates, to me, imply that you've at least exchanged words in person. The whole thing was easy, a little awkward, but fun. I left while I was still having fun. I left while there was still more to say.

The flip side of this is the "over share".

One such gentleman has emailed me his entire life story including but not limited to: his fiance, their break up, his spiritual journey, packing up his car and traveling across country to find himself, his parents failures, his return, his current goals, dreams, wants, social security number, and the intimate details about the 2.5 kids and 4 bedroom house that he will build with his own two hands and so help me I did not need to know ANY of this!!!!

You get the picture.

There is a balance between what needs to be said, what should be said, and what can be kept to ones self. The "meet and greet" is designed to skim the surface. Remember, this is all still very shallow, as it should be. We're all just trying to figure out if we can possible enjoy each others company. I don't need the life story just yet, that should come out over time.

In my mother's infamous words: If you vomit your life all over me, I'm sure you'll feel much better but I'll still be covered in vomit.

So guys...please, we all have baggage, we all have crazy ex's, and we all have stories that would make your hair curl. These do not need to be shared within the first few dates. Keep them to yourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment