Sunday, July 31, 2011

A Frog and a Prince

My mom and I have come up with a lovely scale called the Frog/Prince scale. Three frogs means it was the worst date ever, two means pretty bad but I didn't get up and leave, one frog means there might be some potential but we'll wait and see. One prince equals a nice time, two princes could warrant a hug and three means I will most certainly be seeing him again.

The guy I just met with was...well...sort of a zero. We had a fine time, the conversation was nice and flowed well. He is very attractive, gainfully employed, smart, etc. I have my boss's voice in my head saying "if the guy can't spring for coffee then it's not worth it" so that is a potential ding against him. He lives over an hour away which I did not realize so he is a little geographically undesirable. But he was sweet and we had a good time...

1 + -1 + zero ... so a zero? Hmmmm.

I'm on the fence with the whole who-buys-what idea. A part of me thinks that if I'm not even calling these dates then the guy is under no obligation to pay for anything. I am certainly capable of buying my own coffee. And another part of me is old fashioned and thinks that though the means of dating have changed, the fundamental rules really haven't changed much at all and the guy should be paying.

Angry feminists everywhere raise a fist and let loose a battle cry!

I'm on the fence, and will probably stay on the fence until something or someone knocks me one way or the other.

Can we talk for a minute about hugs? I am all for hugs. I used to be a really hug oriented person. I'd hug everyone and everything. Feeling sad? Have a hug! Feeling great? Another hug! Did we just meet? Lets hug it out! Hugs for everyone!!!! And then one day it sort of dawned on me, mostly because I was getting a reputation for sending mixed messages to my guy friends, not everything warrants a hug...not everyone wants to be hugged, and sometimes hugging is not appropriate.

What ever happened to the handshake? I feel like such an anti-touching grumpy pants but seriously? Sometimes I don't want to be touched! I am meeting these people for the first time ever. Handshakes are amazing and only require me to touch one part of you...your hand. It just sort of struck me between last nights kiss fiasco and this mornings awkward hug that two people that don't know each other shouldn't be that close.

I have another meet and greet tonight. I am going to go in for the handshake and see what happens. My guess? It'll be some equally awkward moment in which he's gone in for the hug and my had gets trapped between us. I just can't win!
*bangs head against wall*

No comments:

Post a Comment