Monday, July 25, 2011

Goes Without Saying

I found this particular gem today...

"Figured I'd put this at the top: I'm ONLY interested in skinny/thin/average/slightly thick but built girls, NO heavy girls, no offense, nothing wrong w/ heavy girls, just not for me."

I really do wonder how often guys show up to meet their date, all hopefull and expectant, thinking about the lovely and trim pictures he has seen of her...wind blowing through her hair as she finishes a triathlon with perfect makeup...only to see a 250lb woman walk through the door and announce that she is his date and he's a shallow cad if he wont buy her drinks.

Somehow I doubt this is very common.

So why do so many guys feel the need to express this particularly shallow caveat? Sure, pictures can lie and good lighting works wonders. And lets be honest here. I am most certainly guilty of looking at someones profile and pictures and thinking "yeah, not for me". This whole thing is shallow! And I mean that in the sense that we all get this very quick, skimming the surface snapshot of someones life, education, interests, etc. So I don't like the way your left eye tends to droop when you smile. I don't have to respond to you. Shallow? Certainly. Well within my internet dating rights? Indeed! So what makes that ok?

...I don't post it in my profile.

There are a ton of things I'm looking for. I certainly want someone with a physique that I find attractive. But I don't open with "if you don't have a six pack please move along." I very much value education. I usually wont respond to someone that didn't finish high school...it's just not for me. But again, not posted in my profile.

I suppose it comes down to this. There are a lot of things you can learn about someone online by reading or asking. If her only interests include marathon tv viewing and cheese puffs, she probably isn't what you are looking for. I know we're all trying to put our best foot forward but I feel like most of the facade falls away if you just ask a few questions.

And another thing! If this is really supposed to be the best version of yourself that you are putting out there for all the world to see...why oh WHY wouldn't you make use of the English language and spell check!?? Hell, run the thing by your friends, your sister, your mom! If you sound like an idiot or an ass, someone will probably tell you. if u dont kar enuff to spell wurdz then u r prbly 2 dum 2 date.

No comments:

Post a Comment